Sunday, July 6, 2014

San Fermin: "I'm with the band"...

Actually, yes.  Although I didn't really know what was going on, I just went with Ana to meet her co-worker, and he gave us each a traditional Basque instrument (which I tried to play but couldn't) and we went into some room overlooking the town square.  Eventually about another 200 people somehow managed to squeeze into the room, complete with all kinds of instruments including several tubas and trombones.  Then everyone got real quiet (well, somewhat quiet) as the countdown to noon and the shooting off of the rocket to signal the start of San Fermin.  I kept trying to look out to see which direction the town hall was (which is where the rocket is fired from) until I finally realized we were inside the town hall!

From where I was I could never tell when the rocket went off, but the next thing I knew the band was playing some song.  A little while later, the doors opened up, the band emerged (I stayed to the rear) into the already completely-full square, played some more songs (that the crowd all knew and sang along with), and then started marching off.

There was much more singing in the streets, and I joined in the best I could (with the tune, if not the words).  I think sometimes we were singing for San Fermin and sometimes for Basque Independence, but I'm not really sure.  Anyway, it was quite spectacular, I met many of Iñaki and Ana's friends, and a couple of English-speakers on my own.  I understood from several with whom we spoke that it was quite extraordinary for a "tourist" to get into the band, so I was duly appreciative of the unique vantage point.










No comments:

Post a Comment