Wednesday, June 18, 2014

What? Where? Who? Why?

Where Are You Going?

See the map in my previous post...

What Are You Going to Do?

Visit people, and hang glide.

Who Are You Going to Visit?

Four years ago, my family decided to start hosting international homestay students in the summers.  We’ve had four awesome students, and knowing them has really increased my interest in wanting to visit these countries and experience these cultures.

We’ve remained in touch with all of these students, and we’ve met (via. Skype and email, and in one case, in person) the families of the three students from Europe.  They’ve all invited us for a reciprocal visit, so I’m going.

I just asked for a place to sleep and people to talk with.  But each of my host families has gone out of their way to help plan things for me. 

Why Hang Gliding?

One of my favorite parts of the earth is the air (the wind, the clouds, the sky), and what better way to experience the air than to be in it, and sometimes to ride upon it?

Why Competitions?

Because they are the biggest and best events in the sport.  They attract the best pilots, to fly at the best sites, at the best time of the year for the best conditions, with unsurpassed opportunities for camaraderie and learning.  It’s the best way to have great flights.  Plus all of the infrastructure and support is provided, e.g. weather analysis, flight tasks and goals, launch assistance, and retrievals (pick-ups after landing).

Why in Europe?


I’ve flown in the four biggest comps in the U.S., and they were all awesome, but they were all in the flatlands with tow-planes, and one of my other favorite parts of the earth is the mountains.  The biggest mountain comps are in Europe and South America.

No comments:

Post a Comment